Re: [at-l] MountainTools FlexFrame: Any Experience?

It will not be based on spelling,
>punctuation or grammar.
>    Begin now.
>    tick, tick, tick...

Okay. Imayhave been alittleroughonthis pack initially when
Ifirstboughtthispack (breeeeath) ButsinceI'venowhaditfora while...

Actually, a wild train ran through the parking lot here and missed my
car. Destroyed several vehicles. No one hurt. Also, my dog ate my
homework. Did I miss anything?

>about the hood (detachable, etc.?),

The 1998 model I have (Mountainlight 5200) doesn't have a detachable
hood unless you want rain coming in via the top of the pack. The 1998
Mountainlight 4000 may have had a removeable hood.

>the harnessing system,

The pack is very light weight so it's not going to carry more than 35
lbs of total pack weight including pack, food, water and everything
inside the pack. Anything more than 35 lbs and it's going to start
sagging on you, particularly the hipbelt. The load leveler straps at the
top of the shoulder straps twist easily and come out of the buckle that
allows them to be pulled tight. Reason: to save weight. What I have done
is to put the straps in the position I want them to be in permanently
and just leave them there. I adjust the other straps as necessary. It
works fine this way for me.

>is the best way to load/pack it.

Since the 1998 model of the MLight 5200 is a top loader (the 1998 MLight
4000 is a panel loader), I put my sleeping bag in a plastic bag at the
bottom with the Thermarest Ultralight adjacent to it (this creates a
base for setting your pack down). Then I pile the other stuff on top of
it. With a top loader, when you get to the shelter you're going to be
pretty much unpacking everything and then repacking the next morning
whether you want to or not. The panel loader allows you to lift out and
insert much easier but with any panel loader you'll need to watch all
the side zippers (strength and watertightness) to make sure they don't
start coming apart.

>comments about the durability, ruggedness choice
>of material and overall quality and applicability of the pack.

There probably aren't many (any?) other packs out there this light per
1000 ci. The 5200 size large after trimming and with carbon fiber stays
should weigh in at 47oz (my scale).

Durability/ruggedness -- initially I was harsh on this pack because the
surface marred easily. After more months, the pack is actually holding
up very well (I still don't like the twisting of the load leveler straps
but it's a compromise to get the weight down). It still gets marked up
easily on the outside but that doesn't really have anything to do with
the durability of the pack.

Applicability of the pack to a thruhike -- I think the Mlight 4000 or if
the 1999 model year has a Mlight 3500 ci pack would be a better choice,
even though the 4000 is a panel loader. Limits you to the amount of junk
you can take with you and it weighs even less as far as empty pack
weight. 1998 GA-ME Thruhiker Monadnok used a MLight 4000 beginning at
Damascus that he got from Mt. Rogers Outfitters. I only saw him for the
first 25 miles or so (he was, you might say, ha, a bit faster hiker than
I) but you might want to track him down and ask him. Also, the MSmith
home page has a hiker picture & name of a person who'd thruhiked with a
Mlight 4000.

>why Mountainsmith makes the worst product catalogue in the market

You might want to get out your own scale and weigh things. The
Mountainlight line of products are relatively close to the weights in
the catalog but I think there must have been a furlong to ounces
conversion error on some other Mountainsmith product weight listings.

>customer support

Ahhh...I tried to word this in a manner that would be acceptable to the
sensitive people on the list. I failed so I deleted my comment.

>Your grade will be based on areas covered,
>presentation of the facts,

I've left the apple on your desk.

Datto