Re: [at-l] My 30 degree Pack Contents

Tom Griffiths wrote:

> Uh-oh, what have I done.

Well you have a fine list here Datto but I have some questions.....

>Heal  Cort10,Ivycrm,sunblk,vaso,2AA,coins,FAid,Mole    12.5
How long will you be out? And how many ounces of each of the
creams do you have?  If less than 2 oz, where did you get them.
If more than two ounces each, will you need that much?  I put my
creams in  empty eye drop bottles.  The generic stuff usually comes in
really nifty light weight bottles. Good for oils for cooking too!

>Cook  Pretzel Can Food Container (with Duct Tape)       8.0

A half pound is a lot for an empty can.  Now I'm with you on wanting
something more substantial than a ziploc for my food, but 1/2 ? I have
a selection of wide mouth plastic jars and even the biggest weighs less than
half that much.  Check Wallmart.  From time to time they sell cheese
doodles or carmel corn in 'jars' made of the same stuff as milk jugs in
sizes from a weekend to a week, foodwise.  A little less convient to
acess but pretty nifty.  Same goes for the rubbermaid....heavy stuff.
Walmart has kids 'pencil boxes ' in sizes from 3X9 to 8X9 that are actually
pretty tuff for their weight.  Jazzy colors though...purple and fuschia <g>.
Also check out the containers that 'Quik' comes in... really nice and two
sizes.
Other light weight options...tennis ball and racketball tubes.  Just a
thought....
the later makes a fine pee cup for frosty nites..
More nitpickin....two matches?.......Wow, you are brave.
>Cook  Sponge 1x1 (wrung out wet) in baggie              1.0
not much lighter but I like a square of green scrubby incase I burn stuff.
>Cloth Black Nylon unlined sweat pants                   5.5
I looove these things...will not leave home without 'em.
>Pack  Pack - Mountainlight 5200 (trimmed, w/CF stays)  47.0
Does the 5200 come standard with the carbon stays or what was the weight
difference?
>Cloth Rainwear (LLBean Mountain Guide Parka - Long)    25.0
I looked at Bean's site and I couldn't find this jacket.  What's it like?
 I'd be cold if I had only a tee and 100 polar.  I mean I'd be really cold
at 30 degrees. If it rains/hails/snows, what will you hike in and what will
you
put on when you get to camp?  I do alot of cool weather hiking and I've
accepted the extra weight of more clothes as life insurance.  Of course,
I hike solo and have to be sure if I break a foot or something <g> and
can't get out that I have enough clothes tostay alive until someone finds me
which, where I hike might not be until I'm late getting back and they come
lookin for me. I can stay warm at 30 if I'm moving wearing light LJ top and
polar 200.  If it's wet I have a coated nylon shell. But at camp I really need

another_dry_layer top and bottom.  Of course you could be one of the lucky
internal furnace people <VBG>.
>Cloth Smartwool Exp Trek socks (spare)                  4.0
Are these really as great as everyone says???
Thanks for sharing and welcome to PPU    (Pillow Packers United)  k.