[at-l] Umbrellas

In a message dated 98-09-16 03:57:21 EDT, Bill Thorneloe wrote:

<<  When can we get back to discussing trail related material?  Such as
.....umbrellas! >>

I'd like to know if anyone out there uses an umbrella.  I remember Woodelf
writing about using one on a recent hike, and I wonder if you use a regular
light weight umbrella or do you make any modifications to it a la Ray Jardine.
I've read Jardine's description for modifying one, but it's too complicated
for my brain!  Also, RJ is more concerned with sun protection whereas in the
East we would be interested in rain protection.

Before anyone gets the flame throwers out just let me say I wouldn't be
bothered with one for shorter hikes.  However, during the 3-1/2 months I was
on the trail last year I'll have to say the rain got to be tiresome.  I didn't
mind it for the first couple of months, but I finally got sick enough of it to
be thinking about carrying a small umbrella if I return to the trail next
year.  I'm not concerned so much about keeping dry as just keeping the rain
off my head.

Gypsy