[at-l] How do you light your stove?

I've used those disposable cigarette lighters to light my various white gas
stoves for years and years, but it's finally occurred to me that they are
not very well suited to the task.

The main problem is that they are designed to work upright, but to get the
little flame down to where the gas is you have to turn the lighter almost
upside down.  Between the flame on the lighter itself, and the inevitable
gas flare-up, you are all but guaranteed a singed thumb.

In addition, I find it hard to spin that little thumb-wheel gizmo if my
hands are cold.

So, any suggestions out there for a more efficient, elegant, safe, of course
light weight way to get that stove cooking?