Re: [at-l] In season

All kidding aside from me for a second..

One of the things that bothered me Sunday morning was what seemed to me
to be a severe lack of training on the hunters part. Maybe some of them
had just bought the guns and were out with them for the first time. I
don't know.

Believe it or not, I actually was sitting in my car considering waiting
to go into the woods 30 minutes after the hunters had entered the woods
and continuing to hike anyhow. I get nutty sometimes and have fits of
indestructability. Then one of the 10-12 year old kids came running
right back out of the forest tunnel, obviously having forgotten
something. He found it on the pavement, picked it up and started running
back into the woods holding his rifle such that the barrel is pointed
down the path toward the other hunters. Hmmm, kid, running, gun, aimed
down the path.

Way back when I last handled a rifle, seems like I was taught to point
the thing angled down or out the side of the trail when I was walking.
It's been quite a while though.

Is this what they still teach at NRA school or wherever now or is there
something new about how one is to carry a rifle? I'd think other hunters
would be a bit paranoid if you even came close to pointing a supposed
unloaded gun in their direction but maybe most hunters a more laid back
about it that I would be.

I suppose you can't actually require training in how to safely use a
rifle. Probably stepping on someone's rights with that idea too. Seems
you have to pass a test to get your automobile drivers license but you
can go and buy a gun anytime you want to and just start firing away
whenever you think it is safe.

Datto