Re: [at-l] Winter on AT

In a message dated 9/10/98 10:18:30 PM EDT, SRober1431@aol.com writes:

<< A friend has invited me to join her and others in hiking the AT through
 Pennsylvania in January, 1999.  My reaction is, "BRRRR!  No way."  But is
this
 silly?  Is The Trail a good place to be at that time of year?  Are these
 people misinformed?

 Kinnickinic >>

I would say go for it. It will be fun. It could be cold and you may have snow.
There will be very few people on the trail. Carry warm dry clothes to change
into when you get to camp.

I did a Southbound thru-hike of the AT in 1992-93. This was the 2nd half of a
Yo-Yo hike.
Started on Mt. Katahdin, ME on Sept 20, 1992.
Ended on Springer Mt., GA Apr 7 , 1993.
Hiked thru PA in Nov/Dec 1992. Had snow on the ground up to 2 feet in some
areas. Most area was a foot or less.

Wildbill