[at-l] A mini-trip report

The trip was mini, not the report <g>

On Labor Day, mom and I decided we had waited long enough to get on the Trail.
So even though we couldn't do an overnighter, we packed up and headed for
Indian Grave Gap for a short day hike.  We took Toney's JanSport D3 for mom to
carry, just so she could try out an external, and I let her carry everything,
including the water.  Cruel, you say? Well, I had the Kelty carrier for the
little one.  I'd much rather carry a pack than a squirmy two year old <g>  On
the other hand, I didn't carry much at all, because my little "hikur chik"
wanted to walk.  Period.  The only time she asked me to "pikit me up, mommy"
was when twigs and rocks would get in her shoes.  (I must invest in some high
top tennies for her to wear on the next trip).  The pace was slow, as she
wanted to stop and investigate the leaves, and the flowers, and pick up sticks
. . . but we didn't mind.  She did great, on her first "real" Trail trip.
(She's been on the trail before, but too young to hike, we carried her)  And
Mom did great too.  Just getting over bronchitis (and because of the
recovering from cancer, any illness takes a lot out of her) she did great
anyway.  She liked the external, except the belt wasn't adjusted right, but
still - I offered to carry the pack when we hiked out, and she declined the
offer <g>. I'll let her tell more, from her point of view, if she wants to
post also.  For myself - I was excited to see those white blazes again.
Stepping onto the Trail was like coming home.  It was sunny, with a light cool
breeze - just a perfect day for hiking.  I don't know how far we went - we
didn't hit Curley Maple Gap shelter, so it wasn't 4.1 miles <g>  But as the AT
goes, it was a nice easy Trail, although it looked to be in need of
maintaining. ( I want to find out which club maintains it so I can join.  It's
so close to Moms it is ridiculous.  )  I was also thrilled with how well Cassy
did.  I brought a water bottle for her (a 79 cent squeeze bottle of spring
water - voila' - who needs a nalgene? <g>) and her doll and a book in case we
stopped and she got bored - she carried the doll, and never once got bored.
Mom was collecting some Pinecones, so Cassy helped.

All in all - short as it was, what a great day :)

The Redhead
Ga > Me  00