Re: [at-l] Trail News from our neighbors to the North

In a message dated 9/7/98 1:53:47 PM EDT, bullard@northnet.org writes:

<< Canada is getting into the act of long trails with a coast-to-coast
 multiple use trail. Check <http://www.tctrail.ca/home_page.htm>
 I doubt that one season thru-hiking will become an issue on this one. It's
 main route is 14,200 kilometers (that's over 8,500 miles). It is being
 built and maintained by local hiking clubs with a central
 oversight/coordinating organization, much like the AT, but with much
 stronger government leadership and support.

 Saunterer >>

This is not a linear coast to coast trail. The name of the trail is, TRANS
CANADA TRAIL, as the name implies it will zigzag across Candada. Target date
for completion is year 2000.

Wildbill

What route will the Trail take across Canada?

Although the route is currently in the process of being finalized, it will
likely include the following major centers and link thousands of smaller
communities in between:

Newfoundland: St.John's, Gander, Grand Falls, Corner Brook, Port Aux Basques.

Nova Scotia: Sydney, New Glasgow, Truro, Halifax/Dartmouth, Amherst.

P.E.I.: Souris, Charlottetown, Summerside, Borden, Tignish.

New Brunswick: Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton, Woodstock, Edmundston.

Québec: Rivière-du-Loup, Québec, Saint-Georges, Thetford Mines, Sherbrooke,
Montréal, Laval, Sainte-Adèle, Hull.

Ontario: Ottawa, Tweed, Peterborough, Toronto, Hamilton, Windsor, Niagara
Falls, North Bay, Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay, Kenora.

Manitoba: Falcon Lake, Fort Alexander, Winnipeg, Altona, Brandon, Roblin.

Saskatchewan: Yorkton, Regina, Moose Jaw, Cypress Hills, Saskatoon,
Lloydminster.

Alberta:Medicine Hat, Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Banff.

British Columbia: Cranbrook, Kelowna, Penticton, Hope, Chilliwack, Mission,
Vancouver, Victoria.

N.W.T.: Fort Resolution, Fort Simpson, Norman Wells, Inuvik, Tuktoyaktuk.

Yukon: Ross River, Whitehorse, Dawson City