[at-l] Bivy sacks, again.

DaRedhead wrote:

<< Assuming, of course, that a) you're AT a shelter and b) there aren't 25
other
thru hikers in it.  I don't know - but to me, the 10 extra ounces is less
important than other things - having a tent means an easy, no hassle house.
You don't have to depend on shelters, you won't have to stay in essentially
one position when spending long periods of time in it, it sets up easy, you
can have your pack inside when it's raining - there are so many advantages to
having a tent, I have to wonder why anyone wouldn't chose to carry one.  I
know a lot of ultra lighters go with a tarp or bivy - but I just don't see how
the weight you shave off is worth it. >>

I think you go through a lot of changes when you've been on the trail a while.
Tiny savings of weight seem very desirable - anything to get the damn pack
weight down!  I never seriously considered the possibility of doing without my
tent though, but then I'm going to have to leave out lots of smaller items
next time to make up for what my tent is costing me in terms of weight.  Last
year I spent over 3 months on the trail wearing just one pair of shorts and 1
pr of capilene pants, and next time I'm going to leave at least one of my
spare prs of socks & liners home and will cut out all the extra food I carried
and didn't eat.  Someone else might very well opt to go with a bivy or tarp.
BTW, I did see hikers using bivies and tarps last year, in very cold weather.
They seemed to be ok, but those young kids can get by with anything!

Gypsy