[at-l] Actual hiking message

Okay, okay already. I'll talk about hiking without throwing in side
comments from the peanut gallery.

Things I've learned recently:

1) The Eureka Gossamer tent/bivy (which is this anyhow?) is working out
great. Actually better than I thought it would. Bigger than I thought it
would be. Weighs in at about 42 oz with replacement stakes (the stakes
that come with the Gossamer are worthless). Much better rain coverage
than my Eureka Zephyr tent in a heavy rain and there is a small "to
ground" vestibule for pack and boots. The Zephyr allows you to sit up,
the Gossamer doesn't. But the Gossamer is wide enough and long enough
for my frame (6'-1").

2) The Hefty brand Zipper Lock freezer bags are working very well -- hot
water for cooking in situ doesn't seem to destroy the bag. I was
experiencing about a 20% failure rate with hot water in the ZipLoc brand
freezer bags (nothing worse than an impersonation of Julia Child
swearing like a sailor at the campsite -- quite the social faux pas in
hiking circles). The Zipper Lock device on the Hefty brand works okay if
you don't squeeze the bag much after sealing it -- minor squeezing seems
to easily defeat the Zipper Lock seal, but you can reseal it with the
Zipper device if that happens (be better if it didn't happen at all but
doesn't matter what brand it is that I have tried, some of them are
going to lose their seal for unknown reasons). You know, part of this
paragraph strikes me as erotic for some reason. Must be me. I don't get
out much.

3) The Z-Rest Buttpad (officially called a Cascade Designs Z-Rest Seat)
is working great. I saw a couple of thruhikers last spring using these
things. Originally I thought it'd be a waste but actually it's turned
out to be a good idea after I've had a chance to find a use for it. You
can use it when filtering water (instead of sitting your butt down on
mossy rocks), or sitting down on a log at a campsite. Weighs in at 2.5
oz. Looks like a tiny Z-Rest sleeping pad only it's about 16" square
when folded out (about 2x2x16 when folded up).

4) Skin So Soft sucks against Indiana bugs. I had to Deet myself to
clear them when my AK-47 jammed (noisy bugger when the woods is so
quiet). SOS only seems to have a mild effect on mosquitos -- no other
bugs. Cutters has a mosquito repellant/sunscreen that seems to work fine
and doesn't stink so bad as Deet. So I've been trying that brand lately
but still carrying the 100% Deet bottle as backup. I had to set aside
the AK-47 and extra bananas -- ultralite, you know. I'm starting to
become an ounce weenie. Plus, I had it strapped to the outside of my
pack when it wouldn't fit inside -- couldn't make any friends at the
shelter. Always alone, just me an my friend Mr. AK. No one else to talk
to. To understand. Just the voices, always the voices. Why don't they
speak up so I can understand what they say? Always whispering about me.

5) The Mountainsmith Mountainlight 5200 backpack I bought several months
ago is working out very well -- much better than my first impression
with that pack (The pack weighs 50 oz with carbon fiber stays, 57 oz
with standard aluminum stays, both on my own weight scale). Still mars
and dirtys easily but you can't beat the weight savings. The pack holds
up and seems to be tough, just looks like it was through the war most of
the time. I'm running about 30lbs total pack weight with summer pack
contents, 2 days food and 1 liter of water. As I said previously, more
than 35lbs total pack weight for this pack is too much. Also, 5200 ci is
a bit much for my summer contents, but just right for my winter
contents. There's a 4000 ci Mountainlight that would probably be more
appropriate for a disciplined thruhike.

Datto