RE: [at-l] Bivy sacks, again.

<<  So, has anyone thruhiked with a bivy or attempted it and bailed out for
a tent?  Advantages?  Disadvantages?   I can't think of any real
disadvantages that a lightweight tarp (or a shelter) wouldn't cure.  >>
Speaking with no personnal experience : ) not having done it, not seeing
anyone bivying or tarping on the AT last year and having no wish to do so
the only advantage of a bivy & tarp over a tent that come to mind is a small
weight savings.

Disadvantages to me are that it LOOKS really confining especially if you
have to wait out a rain storm in a noisy bivy.  It would be tough to sleep /
read /pass time with rain drops hitting 6 inches away from your head.  Kind
of like being in a coffin all boxed in.  Can't put your pack inside or
easily access things in it.  Can't stretch your arms or legs.  Can't have a
pet inside.  Can't sit up inside.  If you're going to carry a tarp in
addition to the bivy why not just take a tent since the weight savings will
be negligible at this point.

From my observations most people tend to retire to their tent soon after
dinner, socializing and after it gets dark so unless you can lay down in
your bivy for 10+ hours especially when it gets dark early and cold more
power to you.

Fire Marshal