Re: [at-l] Q11- Propane/butane Source

In a message dated 8/31/98 1:29:55 PM EDT, csrm@pdrpip.com writes:

<< Hi Ya'll:

    I've decided to pack a propane/butane stove.

    Does any one have a single list of sources near the trail for propane
 and/or butane canisters?

  Do you know of _even one_ source along the trail that can provide a
 canister?  With enough of you responding with just one source, I could
 compile a consolidated list and publish it back to this list for others'
  benefit.

   I'll be using a Primus stove.  I believe it will accept different
 manufacturers canisters to include Peak's 3100 and Gaz's CV270, etc.

   This seems to be the most helpful information:

   1.  Location of the canister (town/city, etc.)
   2.  Address
   3.  Phone number
   4.  Miscellaneous information you think is helpful, like the name of
 the store or outfitter that carries the canister

   Mail drops, for me, will be a plan "B".

 Thank you.

 Mike
 csrm@pdrpip.com
 ---- >>

Suunto USA is the USA Dist for Primus. They are working on a retailer search
page.
 Phone: (760) 931 6788
Fax:       (760) 931 9875
Email:  suunto@ix.netcom.com
Web site:  http://www.suuntousa.com

The different manufacturers canisters look like they will fit. However the
fuel is not the same.
Primus
Butane - 70%
Propane - 20%
ISO butane - 10%

Peak's
Butane - 60%
Propane - 40%

Gaz's CV270 & 470,
Butane 80%
Propane - 20%

 <A HREF="http://www.suuntousa.com/">Welcome To Suunto</A>

 <A HREF="http://www.primus.se/konsument/konsument_e.htm">Primus konsument-e
Web site</A>

 <A HREF="http://www.primus.se/konsument/kdistributor_e.htm">Primus Retailers
</A>

I don't use this type of fuel. The thru-hiker's that I know were have problems
finding it in the smaller trail towns.
Check the  <A HREF="http://superpages.gte.net/">GTE SuperPagesŪ:   Interactive
Yellow Pages ...</A>  Sporting Goods.

Propane/butane canisters were found at these locations.
These are the ones I remember.
Needs Gap, GA
 <A HREF="http://www.synnergy.com/mtncross/INDEX.HTM">Mountain Crossings at
Walasi-Yi Center</A>
Damascus, VA
 <A HREF="http://vhost1.tricon.net/comm/mro/">Mt. Rogers Outfitters</A>
Waynesboro, VA
Outfitter on the road going into town from Rockfish Gap.

Wildbill
GA to ME 89
GA to ME to GA 92-3