[at-l] Re: ATML Diabetic Hikers?

While I basically believe in "hike your own hike", I would like to add my $0.02
worth.

The decision to hike with a chronic illness needs a great deal of planning and
preparation. Careful assessment of the risks with a physician familiar with the
activity and the illness should be among the first items considered. Education of
a hike-buddy is essential, to avoid becoming a burden to others if problems
should arise.

Diabetes is a particular risk. Injury to feet, disposal of needles, spoilage of
insulin, recognition of dehydration and acidosis,  and other issues are items to
be considered. It is incredibly negligent to fellow hikers and yourself to simply
"go for it." You are absolutely correct in advising Yard Sale to seek a partner.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA