[at-l] Diabetic Hikers?

TO: atml@trailplace.com, at-l-digest@saffron.hack.net

Hello all.

I've a somewhat strange query.  Are any of you fellow hikers diabetics?
 Have you ever heard of any diabetic hikers through-hiking?

I've had insulin dependent diabetes (requiring heavy diet management and
two shots of insulin a day) since I was 13.

I've managed weekend and weeklong hikes, but even then there are many
variables that must be considered:

In addition to regular equipment, I carry all of my medical supplies (a
blood glucose meter, reagent strips, needles, insulin, lancets, alcohol
swabs, etc) and emergency medical supplies (Instant Glucose in the event
of an insulin reaction, and Glucogon in the event of an unconscious
situation).  This is at least two extra .lbs. (maybe more!).

Diabetics should always avoid concentrated sugar in "normal" life
(whatever that is); however, when on the trail, I tend to eat regular
sugared foods to compensate for the increased amount of exercise.  I also
reduce the overall amount of insulin I take to cover the sugar intake
because the exercise is using up a lot of the sugar.  All of this is done
to balance my blood sugar levels without getting too low (causing insulin
reactions) or too high (causing diabetic complications over time).

Another question:  How have any other diabetic hikers dealt with the
general headache of hiking and regulating blood sugar levels and eating
regularly?

If any of you are interested or need more specific information about
diabetes, feel free to ask.

 -Yard Sale/Bargain
 (Sorry to listowners for the cross-post)

Patrick Hatcher
Technical Writer/Web Developer
Biological & Popular Culture, Inc.
phatcher@biopop.com