[at-l] Thruhiking - Answers

Some housekeeping stuff here - We couldn't answer anyone last night
because the power went out here - so no computer.  Withdrawal!! But
there were a number of posts that needed answering and I'm real short on
time so you're gonna get them all at once -

First - Peter Nyberg wrote:
> It was never my perception that at-l is intended to be a "thruhiking list".
>  How widespread is the feeling that the discussion of issues which have
> "little to do with the reality of thruhiking" are a waste of bandwidth?

Hang in there Pete - at-l is not, has never been and, I believe, was
never  intended to be strictly a "thruhiker list". Nor is anything I say
here meant to put down dayhikers, section hikers - or anyone else.  But
you DO need to keep in mind that this particular series of posts is
addressed specifically to future thruhikers -- and they might not apply
to you or your lifestyle. They may not even apply to some future
thruhikers!!  Now, I'll be blunt - and this isn't personal to you - the
"issues" (like "speed hiking" and Trail Magic and guns and cell phones)
are a waste of bandwidth - whether you're a thruhiker or not.  I can
give you details on why - but it'll have to wait until after we get back
from Glacier in about 3 weeks.

For Will O'Daix - Sorry Will - I can't claim to have done the PCT yet.
That'll come after the CDT.  I never have done things the easy way - why
should I start now?  :-)

For Quid Pro Quo - Thank you.  My personal feeling is that the
definition of a thruhiker is someone who walks from Maine to Georgia or
vice versa.  Pack or not, blue-blazes or not, running, walking,
crawling, whatever - no restrictions - EXCEPT ---- yellow-blazing (i.e.
- hitching or riding around large sections of the Trail) - for whatever
reason, particularly with no intent to go back and hike those sections -
means that person isn't walking and cannot, therefore, logically claim
to be a "thruhiker".  But a lot of them do claim that status -- and
that's where I get irritated because it's dishonest, deceptive and
demeans what those who are really walking the Trail are doing.  Am I
being judgmental here?  Maybe - but I think if you're gonna talk the
talk, you should walk the walk.  If your purpose is to be out there for
the summer, or to party, or to be with your friends, or just to have fun
-- no problemo - go for it.  If you're walking the Trail as a part of
your fun/partying/whatever and you want to claim thruhiker status -
who's gonna say otherwise?  But understand that the first time you hitch
around a big section of Trail, knowing you're not going back there
later, you've blown your "thruhiker" status - even if you're the only
one who knows about it (but you can bet the farm that you're not the
only one).  So -- what's a "big" section?  I'm not gonna define that
because it's an individual thing.  For me it would have been a mile, for
others 30 miles, for some people 100 miles.  You have to decide what it
is for you, but keep in mind that those who yellow blaze more than once
or twice generally don't show up at places like the Gathering or Trail
Days because they KNOW they didn't really finish the Trail - and they
know that others know it too.  So they don't really become part of the
thruhiker community - not because they're excluded, but by their own
choice.  What do YOU want to live with the rest of your life - a real
thruhike that you can take pride in or a partial thruhike that you'll
regret not finishing?

For Felix - I apologize for not starting this series earlier.  I thought
about it - but I really wasn't capable of saying what I needed to say
before this.  I'll use your "on-Trail" email address to send you the
rest of what comes out of this mess.  At least you can print it and use
it for fire-starter. :-)

For Mara - Be careful of past experience - it can create problems.
Experienced backpackers have developed habits and make assumptions about
the Trail, their abilities, their gear, weather, hiking conditions --- a
whole range of things that inexperienced hikers know nothing about and
are therefore open to learning about.  And the weekend/2-week habits and
assumptions that you start with are not always what are needed for long
distance hiking.  I'm not saying they're wrong - only that you might
want to be open to new or better ways of doing things.  :-)  (I had to
learn that lesson, too)

For Wildbill - Thank you - I'd lost that URL and I will go back and read
it. Last time I was in there the page was still under construction.

For Solophile - Thank you for sharing your answers with the list - It's
a form of emotional risk-taking that a lot of people won't expose
themselves to. It takes a lot of courage. Keep'em coming.

For whoever might be interested - After I finish this "thruhiking"
series, I'll try to gather the information together and maybe it can be
added to the Thruhiker Papers. I'll try to get the next "episode" out
before we leave on Monday.

OK - it's late, I'm tired and we've got a long way to go to get ready to
leave for Glacier on Monday, so I'll bid you all a very good night. Stay
cool.

Walk softly,
Jim