[at-l] Re: at-l-digest V1 #879

> I asked Gutsy this weekend if there were any hikers left in Shenandoah
> National Park.  She said she spoke to a park ranger who told her that he
> hadn't seen any thruhikers on the trail there the entire year, and that
they
> were mostly on the drive and in the campgrounds.  I mentioned that this
was
> the same experience I had on my vacation.  It is a shame because that is
such
> a beautiful part of the trail.
>
>           choovers
> * From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

That park ranger was:

a) Not paying attention

or

b) Preoccupied with the NPS Committee to Further MicroManage Everyone's
Backcountry Experience <g>

Seriously...

Since I returned in late June from my 5-week Section Hike, I've seen
thru-hikers during every SNP dayhike I've taken (at least during the
portions that had me on the A.T.).  I seemed to be hiking southbound on
most of those occasions and thus probably increased my chances (perhaps a
way of "withdrawing" from the Trail once home?).  They were mostly
following the white blazes, staying at shelters or at backcountry
campsites.  I didn't meet any thru-hikers walking Skyline Drive, tho I met
one group that had stayed at Big Meadows Campground instead of a shelter.

Quite a few have been down to my hometown of Luray this year for one reason
or another, more than in previous years I think.  Most go into Waynesboro
and don't hit another town until Front Royal or beyond.  A total of 23 so
far wound up sleeping on my covered porch, using the shower, laundry, etc.
in fact (not all at once, thankfully).  But even most of these left the
white blazes at Thornton Gap and got back on the A.T. there the next day.

Noticed a trend just before the 4th of July:  a frantic desire to get to
Harpers Ferry any way possible so as to catch the train to DC for the 4th
fireworks.  Yes, some yellow-blazing took place then.  Even one previously
"pure" thru-hiker took the plunge.  I don't have permission to mention
names, so I won't.

Seems like the only hikers left on the A.T. in SNP now are section hikers.
But I thought the same last week until I ran into two "late" thru-hikers.

Skyline