Re: [at-l] To thruhike or not to thruhike...

Mara Factor wrote:

> Is it reasonable to expect to find people to hike with along the trail?
> Given that I would start northbound during the normal March/April
> timeframe, I probably couldn't hike alone if I wanted to  :-) but are
> there others like me who start alone knowing that they'll hook up with
> others along the way?  I'm sure there are those that want to hike alone
> and I would never impose my unwanted presence.

I would expect you to find many potential trailmates, but it is probably a good idea
to meet other through-hikers during fall and winter meetings at REI, local hiking
clubs, and other groups. Read a bunch, including everything WF offers. Read a few
journals to get an idea of what you are facing (including at least two who didn't
complete the hike).

Who you hike with will help determine how well you enjoy or hate the trail. This is
an extreme experience, and will test your emotional stamina at least as much as your
physical stamina. I would avoid isolation, hence meet and plan on some relationships
before you get to Georgia.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA