The word from Ironmasters Mansion

Here at HI-IM, we get very few that want to use the hot tub... with 90+ degree
days and at least that in humidity, there's already plenty of moisture to go
around.

We've had several hikers come though that were at our Ruck this past January,
and lots of hikers who use our Internet connection to check email and their own
journals on Trailplace, like Crispy, who was just in last night. We get very
few others who use our Internet PC, but then again, maybe it's because we
charge non-hikers $3/hr. (smile)

The flow of hikers hasn't slowed down appreciably, though we were caught quite
off-guard last week when we had a night without anyone in the Hostel.

One amusing sidenote is that we've actually benefitted from Earls' walk, since
we've had 4 reporters stay with us so far, all on Earls trail. Last night it
was a reporter from the Associated Press. We're hoping Earl won't be chased
away by the crowds, and will stay with us on his way through the area.

Moose tracks seems to be the flavor of choice among the Half-Gallon club, with
mint chocolate chip a runner-up. The fastest (no flames!) this season is 20
minutes. The all-time speed record is 5 minutes 20 seconds. As the season wears
on, we get an interesting collection of partial boxes of ice cream in our
freezer. Those that are really smart stop by the Hostel and get a US Army
surplus spoon to dig into their ice cream with.

Re: Report from DWG:
I suspect that these are the reasons why we tend to get hikers who pass us by
(no money) or those that stay around for days (substitute family). We've
noticed some general categories showing up on our doorstep at the Hostel: Those
that say they can't afford to stay, but would be willing to do work, those that
don't even bother to show up and ask, those that stay for 1 night and leave and
those who continue their hike and never make it off the front porch.

I think that having our family running the Hostel makes it a little more
comfortable to those that are looking for that home-away-from-home, whether
they know it or not when they first get to the Hostel. Those that just enjoyed
our hospitality are Purple, Crispy and Renaissance Man. The many others shall
remain nameless (my choice).

Tom
tomha@epix.net
dpmgr.amc@paonline.com