[at-l] trip report

Hello all,

I just spent some time with Gutsy and "Gutsy's Dan".  They were through my
area to do a little hiking.  She says to tell you all hello. Her computer's
been out of commission and has not been able to communicate online.

I met them Friday night at the ATC in Harpers Ferry where we picked out our
trips for Saturday and decided where to camp for the night.  Dan wanted to do
a section from Maryland to Harpers so we camped at the Dahlgren Campgrounds.
We got to trailhead and who should be standing there but Earl Shaffer himself.
He was looking beat but wearing a new shirt.  He was heading towards a family
reunion but was planning on getting back to trail head on Saturday night.   He
states that he cannot take a real day off and had to get back to do at least 5
miles.  He told me he remembered me from Hot Springs which was really nice.

On Saturday morning, Gail and I headed off....dropping their car near Harpers
and then dropping mine off at Rte 50 in Virginia.  She and I then hiked the 14
miles to Bears Den Hostel on the "roller coaster" section.  It was a bit much
for me, but I managed to finish. My feet really hurt today and I will probably
end up loosing a few toe nails.  Her opinion is that my feet have stretched
some and I need to go up a size....ahhhhhh.

Anyways, they headed back to SC last night.  It was really good to see them. I
guess there was a reason I had no plans this weekend, because it was a great
surprise and a pleasure to have them here.  I hope they come back soon.

          choovers