Re: [at-l] vitamins

At 09:08 AM 7/17/98 -0400, Alice Kauzlarich wrote:
>Why do you take such a high dosage of Vitamin E? Just curious. My doctor
>said to take 400 mg daily, but that was for menopause.<VBG>

The reason is that there is no evidence that lower dose (below 1000 IU)
provides any benefit. The only studies of demonstrating benefit from Vitamin E
have used 1000 to 3000 IU, with 2000 to 3000IU must helpful. The 2000IU level
is reasonable, with little statistical benefit from the addition 1000 IU. I
refer you to JAMA early May 1997 for at least 2 studies involving Alzheimer's
and immune system studies.

In 1998, this is still conjecture and not proven science. However, there are
several indications this is a good idea and has no significant adverse events.
This also has essentially nothing to do with the AT.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA