Re: [at-l] dehydrading - a basic question

Owen wrote:

Another disasterous attempt at dehydrating, but at least the house
doesn't smell of rotten tomatoes this time.  I am getting closer this
time - I just have to figure out a few things.  1- most basic, do
you keep the vents open or closed when you are dehydrating?
I don't know what kind of dehydrator you have but I would assume that if the vents were closed, the food would cook rather than dry.
The book
that comes with it doesn't say.  Also - to prevent small items like peas
from falling through the holes in the trays - do you think that covering
them with cheesecloth would work?
I use nylon window screen, cut with scissors to fit the trays, from the hardware store.  It's cheap and I've been using the same ones for over three years now.  To wash them when you're finished, simply fill a sink with enough soapy water to cover the screens, let them soak for a short while, then rub them together under running water to rinse.  Slap them on the side of the sink two or three times and they dry almost immediately.
My unit doesn't have any solid trays
- just ones with holes big enough for the peas to fall through, into the
motor, as they dry.  HELP!  I want the vegetables to supplement our
pasta, but so far I'm batting zero.