Re: [at-l] dehydrading - a basic question

One thing I have learned...
it's _much_ better to dry stuff when the ambient
humidity and temperature is low.  Sounds simple but the
drier the air, the quicker the drying and to my eye,
the better the results.  This is especially true for
fruits and tomatoes which can develope a 'cooked' taste
if they get too hot.  Tuff time now in Pa. with constant 90%
humidity and 85 degrees<sigh>.

About pea proofing your trays...my unit doesn't have
solid trays available either.  Cheesecloth sounds
great!  I've snooped around stores and found thin
but rigid plastic sheets that I think were intended
for use in preparing fancy cakes. I cut holes in them
to promote air flow and they work OK.  At least my
minced Videlias don't fall through anymore. But I'm
looking to make some sort of wire mesh inserts to
promote even better airflow. And if you haven't done
any videlias, ya better hurry cause they are disappearing
fast.

Another note..much of the food I dried for my aborted
thru this year has developed ice crystals while stored in the
freezer.  They were packed in ziplocks.  Next time, I'll
invest in a vacuum sealer and hopefully that will help.

Have fun!  And dried mushrooms are a boon!!!

And a question...has anyone successfully dried bluberries?
Mine turn rock hard and would probably make good sling
shot ammo..