[at-l] Backpack stays

O.K.  I am still, always trying to get my pack weight down.  I am now around
28 pounds without food, but still want to get some ounces off.  I noticed that
the stays on my internal pack can easily be taken out.  I have a Lowe Alpine
Ophir 60.  How necessary are the stays?  When I fill the pack and walk around
the house, I don't notice any difference. I do wonder though what the
difference would be after 10 miles of backpacking.  I know that with the
stays, I have never had a sore spot.  I have used this pack for 3 years and
love it.  It is small, supposedly only holds 3600 cu in and 25 lbs, but I have
no problems getting 45 lbs in it.  My goal is to have my maximum weight with 7
days of food be no more than 35 lbs.  Have any of you taken the stays out of
your packs?  What have you found?  Please help!  I am planning a six day trip
the middle of August and would love to have help deciding what to do.

Leapfrog