From
The Virgina Highlands Festival
schedule of events:

Appalachian Trail Slide Show

David Dailey hiked the AT in 1983 ---
all 2,138 miles of it.
Come hear about his adventure at
7:00p.m. Friday, August 14th at the
Washington County Puplic Library. (Abingdon, VA)
His 45 minute slide presentation is filled with wildflowers,
beautiful scenery and a touch of human element.

There is also a White Top & Mt. Rogers Ecology Hike
on August 9th with Dr. Harvard Ayers, Professor of Anthropology and
sustainable development at Appalachian State U. of Boone, N.C.
He will discuss the results of a 1997 aerial survey and ground based  research
evaluating the forest ecology of VA's two highest peaks.
Hikers can continue for a six-hour trip to the spruce fir forest of Mt. Rogers.
Meet at 9:00a.m.
Sunday Aug. 9th
at the U.S. Forest Service parking lot in Elk Garden (one hour from Abingdon)
where the trail crosses Rt. 600.
Bring Lunch, rain gear, appropriate clothing and sturdy boots.

Block Dog
  {              They deem me mad because I will not          }
  {                     sell my days for gold;                }
  {                And I deem them mad because they           }
  {                      think my days have a price.          }
  {         -excerpt from Sand and Foam, by Kahlil Gibran     }