RE: [at-l] food and other stuff

Valerie Henderson wrote:
> Second: food (a common topic with me, huh?).  Jardine goes on about
the wonders of "corn spaghetti"?  Any experience with this stuff.  I
have a  small batch that I'm going to try out sometime to see if I like
the stuff  and if it goes well with my style of cooking (you know, the
throw everything into a pot and boil the heck out of it style <g>).

Valerie,

I've had (and liked) Corn Pasta.  I agree with Jardine that the elbow
macaroni style works better.  The stuff tastes ok... but as far as I'm
concerned it's just another bland base.  Still, any source of variety is
great so go for it!

Just like pasta, you can cook it by (more or less) bringing enough water
to a boil to cover the stuff, adding the elbows, and then removing from
heat and letting it sit.  The pasta will soak up pretty much all of the
water.

My daughter and I had some on a trip last week.  The recipe went more or
less like this:

(1) take a bunch of dehydrated veggies, chili powder, and instant
refried black beans and add them to cold water.

(2) bring to a boil.

(3) add corn elbows, bring back to a boil, and remove from heat.

(4) let sit (I use a pot cozy to keep the stuff hot).

(5) eat

Corn pasta seems to take less time to cook than regular pasta.

-- Jim Mayer