[at-l] SNP Trip Report

Well, I have been very busy since returning from my little juant up
the SNP.  What follows is a brief trip report for the first half fo
the Hike.

13 June 98
Headed south by taking I-78 to I-81.  We stop in Winchester for
lunch.  The group of Scouts hiking south on the AT split off on I-66
heading toward Front Royal.  Our group headed south to Harrisonburg
were we picked up 33.  We got caught in a nice severe thunderstorm as
we filled the cars with gas..  The storm headed for the mountains
with us right behind it.  Not an auspicious start for a week of
hiking.  We later learned that there was a tornado associated witht
the storm.

We finally arrived at Skyline Drive at Swift Run Gap.  Two cars head
north, one to be dropped off at Big Meadows and Iheaded south for
Simmon's Gap.  At Smith Roach Gap we saw a couple of hikers trying to
dry out their gear.  The ground wss covered with hail at Simmon;s
Gap.  aT 3:300 we finally started hiking.  We were planning onlyu a
1,5 mile hike but ended up doing 2,5 miles before we found a decent
camping area.

14 June 98

Rain early morning and we all got up early.  We ended up doing a
series of endless puds.  Stopped at High Top Hut.  Meet Frank and
Pops, a couple from Colorado.  Later Jackrabbit droped in.  He was
trapped on top of Loft mountain when the storm hit yesterday  He
tried to protectrhimself from the hail by using his packpack.
Lightening was striking the ground all around him.  Shook him up
preety good.  We wanted to get past Swift Run Gap for the night and
ended up camping on Saddle Back Mountain.

15 June 98

Rain started at 3:00 am in the morning and continued until sunrise.
We hiked to South River Picnic Area to cook breakfast and to dry
out.We strung clothes lines between the trees to dry out tents,
sleeping bags, etc.  Potable water and flush toilets.  Life is great.
 We stopped at Lewis Mountain in the early afternoon and after a lot
of thinking we decided to spend the night at the camp ground.  Meet
Ranger Bob.  It was a nice camp ground, but the ranger checked out
the money very carefully.  Otherwise a nice guy.  Guess What?  Rain
again in the morning.

A cold and rainy night.  We had breakfast at the campsite  Sun
finally came out as we headed to Bear Fence Mountain.  Did the Bear
Fence rock scramble (packs off).  Stopped early at Bearence Hut and
ran into Seasons and her husband (Did not get his name).  They had
been slack packing and were looking for their backpacks.  THey
finally got them at big meadows.  Several other people dropped in, I
did not get their names, but one was a section hike who started at
hHarpers Ferry and was ready to bail out and head west.  He was tired
of the reaain and he was not going to spend all of his leave from
athe navy in the rain.  We headed towards big Meadow

TOo be continued.....