[at-l] food and other stuff

Hi all!

Slow day at work today, so figured I'd ask some more questions.

Been reading Ray Jardine's book about the PCT (doing a bit of dreaming,
too), but he has some interesting ideas that I wanted to get feedback
on.  First off, let me say that I don't want to start up an ultralight
vs. "heavy" war on the list.  I'm just trying to get some input from all
you guys out there.

First off: shoes.  Personally, I don't think that the running shoe thing
will work for me because I've had a lot of ankle problems.  Basically, I
have to play sports and hike in an air-cast.  But I was curious about the
cost vs. wear of running shoes.  Sure, they're lighter, but how much
faster do they wear out?  Could someone out there with some medical
training (maybe our resident physical therapist) speak up about ankle
problems?

Second: food (a common topic with me, huh?).  Jardine goes on about the
wonders of "corn spaghetti"?  Any experience with this stuff.  I have a
small batch that I'm going to try out sometime to see if I like the stuff
and if it goes well with my style of cooking (you know, the throw
everything into a pot and boil the heck out of it style <g>).  But,
what's so great about corn products (grits, spaghetti, etc.)?  What
nutritional value does it have that other veggies don't?  Does this
"wonder quality" of corn hold for "normal" corn?  Is corn on the cob just
as good as say grits?  Just curious.

For other food junkies out there.  I tried dehydrating yogurt for the
past couple of weekends, just to see what it would do.  (It's ALIVE, Igor
<g>).  Worked surprisingly well.  IMO, it kind of tastes like chewy ice
cream and does really well for a quick desert.  I used Yoplait Custard
Sytle Vanilla and then tried another of Rasberry.  For me, the trick
proved to be getting the yogurt more or less smooth.  You can't just pour
it onto the trays.  You have to spread it out and try to make it even.
Otherwise you end up with gooey chunks.  Yuck!  I'm still experimenting
with the yogurt that has the fruit chunks in it to see how that works.
I'll keep you posted.

Later y'all.

Val