[at-l] Re:Hunting in PA

>In Pennsylvania, where I am from, much of the AT goes through State Game
>Lands, paid
>for by hunters license fee's. Also, a lot of the private land that the AT
>travails
>is owned by hunters also. I am an avid hunter, and also an avid
>backpacker. I do not
>drink while hunting, do not carry coolers to the woods while hunting. Any
>of these
>actions would be turned in by any of almost a million hunters throughout
>the state.
>These actions are illegal in any state. I do admit that there are careless
>hunters,
>just as there are careless backpackers. You do not hear the hunters
>clamoring to get
>rid of the backpackers and the AT going through their land, though, bought
>and paid
>for by hunters dollars.
>
>Before you start yelling for a ban on hunting on the AT, you better find
>out where
>the AT land comes from. In the State of Pennsylvania;
>
>Almost from the Maryland line , through Pine Grove Furnace, to Hunters Run
>is State
>Lands.
>Just West of Harrisburg, the trail goes in and out of State Game Lands
>170, and then
>just North of Harrisburg,
>enters State Game Lands 211. From 211, you move into SGL# 80, then into
>SGL#110, and
>then into SGL #106 at Port Clinton. Then there is SGL# 217, and then SGL#
>168 at
>Wind Gap. You are now in New Jersey.

I agree! As a PA hunter and a hiker as well, I know that out of over a
million hunters on the first day of buck season, there are fewer than 5 or
so deaths.  Heart attacks and carbon monoxide poisoning. People light
lanterns or heaters in tents  and suffocate or the chimneys are blocked in
their hunting cabins.

i either wear orange on Saturdays or hike on Sundays.   Thru hikers are
probably well out of PA by mid-October and November.

Deb G.

Deborah S. Grove, Ph.D.
Manager of the Nucleic Acid Facility
Biotechnology Institute