Re: [at-l] hiking in hunting season

> You have to keep in mind that game animals use the Appalachian
> Trail at least as much as people. Therefore, there will be
> some hunters who hunt and bait it as they would any other game
> trail. For this reason, I wouldn't mind seeing hunting totally
> banned from the A.T.
>
> mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine

In Pennsylvania, where I am from, much of the AT goes through State Game Lands, paid
for by hunters license fee's. Also, a lot of the private land that the AT travails
is owned by hunters also. I am an avid hunter, and also an avid backpacker. I do not
drink while hunting, do not carry coolers to the woods while hunting. Any of these
actions would be turned in by any of almost a million hunters throughout the state.
These actions are illegal in any state. I do admit that there are careless hunters,
just as there are careless backpackers. You do not hear the hunters clamoring to get
rid of the backpackers and the AT going through their land, though, bought  and paid
for by hunters dollars.

Before you start yelling for a ban on hunting on the AT, you better find out where
the AT land comes from. In the State of Pennsylvania;

Almost from the Maryland line , through Pine Grove Furnace, to Hunters Run is State
Lands.
Just West of Harrisburg, the trail goes in and out of State Game Lands 170, and then
just North of Harrisburg,
enters State Game Lands 211. From 211, you move into SGL# 80, then into SGL#110, and
then into SGL #106 at Port Clinton. Then there is SGL# 217, and then SGL# 168 at
Wind Gap. You are now in New Jersey.

I would guestimate that 60% of the AT in Pennsylvania is on State Game Lands, and
that 20% is on State Park Land, which is also open to hunting. For the 60% which is
on State Game Lands, we hunters in this state bought and paid for that land to hunt
with our license fee's, and any attempt to ban hunting on these lands will be met
with the loss of the AT as you know it today.
Recently, in Pennsylvania, hunters opposed mountain bikes on game lands and the
mountain bikes lost. The same thing happened recently with horses on State Game
Lands. The horses also lost.

I would hate for the AT to end up the same way, but you must remember, you are
traveling on someone else's land every step that you take on the AT. If that land
was designated for hunting, then you need to decide whether you want to take the
risk of a stray bullet during hunting season (I have never heard of a hiker being
shot), or stay off the trail. If you decide to hike the trail, use the common sense
information that I will not restate that other posters have given.

Remember that the AT is private property at some places, State Game Lands at others,
State and National Forest lands at
others, and we are all guests as we travel on this great trail. To try to push for a
no hunting situation, when you are  a guest on someone else's land, is a no win
situation.

Chuck,    (Just plain Chuck, but a hunter and a backpacker too)