[at-l] news from Teresa Beachy

Dear Listers,

A big, hearty hi from Teresa Beachy, aka Mountain Roamer, who has just
successfully downed a half gallon of ice cream.  In the process, onlooking
thru hikers were treated to a free comedy show as I struggled to join the
thru hiking gluttony club, officially known as the half gallon club.  I
chose a box of vanilla ice cream and had bought cheerios earlier and packed
them along for this momentous occasion.  I love cheerios with ice cream and
the cheerios were my saving factor.  They cut the sweetness of the ice
cream when I could no longer stand the taste of ice cream and each bite
became a struggle.  Only with great will power was I successful at this
rather foolish tradition, which seemed more foolish with each succeeding
bite after the initial quart.  Near the end when I had my cheerleading
squad in full cry, a cheerio got stuck in my throat and I couldn't cough it
up because of a mouthful of ice cream.  After an attempted swallow, it
triggered the gag reflex and up came some ice cream.  Whether this
contributed to my success or made the task more difficult is a question
worthy of discussion.  I still had to down about 8 big bites of ice cream
after that.  I guess you could call this venture a sweet success.

I'm typing this on Tom Ha's computer from the Ironmaster's Mansion in Pine
Grove Furnace.  Outta Chocolate and I hiked in today from Caledonia State
Park.  Tomorrow we're pushing on to Duncannon where we intend to take a few
days off and visit family.  It's been a long time since we've been in our
home churches and seen our families.  Just last night we were discussing
the fact that neither of us had struggled with homesickness up to this
point, but both of us were more than ready to spend a weekend at home.

We've been having a great time and there's some great stuff coming up in
Outta Chocolate's journal.  I'll let him clue you in on the rest of our
adventures, but I wanted to send a message while I had a chance.  Ya'all,
hiking the AT is the best thing I could have done this summer and there is
no other place I'd rather be.  If any of ya'all get the chance, just get
out there and hike!!!

BTW, we have just loved hiking with some of you listers.  To Woodelf,
Ratboy, Chase, Jim, Ginny, Amy, and Rich, a huge thanks for your interest
in our hike.  We really enjoyed hiking with ya'all and missed you after you
left.  Thanks for the goodies you brought for us, but thanks most of all
for coming out and spending time with us.  It was very special and we say
"Thank-you".

Mountain Roamer