Re: [at-l] hiking in hunting season

>How dangerous is it to be on the trail during hunting season.
>Has a hiker ever been shot by accident by a hunter who mistook
>him for a deer or whatever?

Cool, finally something that I can add comment to.  I'm not saying
hiking during hunting season is or is not dangerous.  I just want to
share one of my hiking experiences with the group.

Last summer myself and my regular hiking partner hiked the 100 Mile
wilderness the first week of Sept.  We did not know it at the time, but
that is bear season in Maine.  I hike faster than my partner, so I was
already at camp when this happened.  So unfortunately I'm telling it
second hand.  I can validate I did hear shooting in the distance.

Anyway, about 4 miles south of Antler's campsite around Church pond or
Jo-Mary road, he heard a couple of shots from a high powered rifle
(These would be the shots I could hear in the distance).  A few hundred
yards up the trail, there was a damn bait bag hanging ON the trail from
a tree.  For some stupid reason, hunters are allowed to bait bear in
Maine...  Being a hunter he knew what was taking place, and thus quickly
got his ass out of there.

The problem at hand was there is no one to report such activity to out
there.  I think we were 2-3 days into the wilderness, and something like
3-4 from getting out.

Now I'm a firm beleiver that guns don't kill, people kill.  This is an
example of hunters being where they definately should NOT have been.

Well I've shared my experience, even though it did not shed any light in
either direction for this topic.

John Goldsworthy
Section Hiker