[at-l] hunters

Fourwh1021@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-07-06 13:42:09 EDT, ern@tick-tock.com writes:
>
> << Some of the "stupid ones" are on the business end of a hunting rifle, who
>  should know better.
>
>  Some of the "stupid ones" are those hikers on the AT or woodcutters &
>  outdoorsmen elsewhere in hunting areas who don't follow the law and wear
>  blaze orange as they are required.
>   >>
> If it wasn't for this list, I would never have dreamed that hunters would be a
> concern while I was hiking on the AT.  Somehow I just can't imagine that a
> trail that is maintained for people to walk on, would also have people running
> around with rifles shooting at things.  I don't consider myself stupid...but I
> do consider people stupid who can't tell a person from a four legged animal.
> And what if I was hiking with my dog??  She weighs 100 pds and has white on
> her hind quarters...so should I put a little orange jacket on her so they can
> tell she's not a deer?  I have two nephews who hunt so I asked them about
> this.  They said that if someone shoots without being able to count the points
> (?) they are stupid indeed.
>
> Patty

Patty - the only place we go hiking at the end of November early
December is the Shenandoahs - where hunting is prohibited.  I hate not
being able to hike - but on the other hand, it is usually cold and wet,
so I'm not really missing all that much.  Why take chances when the
season is fairly short?  Deer season is the only time you really have to
be concerned. Though there are hunters out much of the year after small
game and such, they aren't usually a problem as they have to see what
they are shooting at. Most deer hunters are responsible, but it only
takes one who's not.  Besides I've been out on the first day of hunting
season (oops!), solitary it's not.  I don't care for crowd scenes, and
you don't see much wildlife. So why not go sometime and somewhere you
know the hunters won't be?
Ginny