Re: [at-l] Long Term Iodine Use

You can now buy PotableAqua Plus (or some such version).  It includes a
bottle of neutralizing tablets that I understand to be vitamin C (I'm
sure someone out there will correct me if I'm wrong  :-).  Does anyone
out there know if these neutralizing tablets just neutralize the flavor
and scent of the iodine, or if they neutralize the potentially harmful
iodine itself?  (Wildbill?)

If they neutralize the iodine itself, then using the iodine and the
neutralizer would still be a lot lighter than carrying a filter.

If in the unlikely event that time is an issue, filtering may be faster.
If using the neutralizer, you still have to wait for the iodine to work
before adding the neutralizer.  Then when getting more water, you have
to make sure to rinse well to get rid of any remaining neutralizer
before adding iodine to the next batch of water.

Thanks for any further info...

Mara

>From: DaRedhead@aol.com
>Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:30:46 EDT
>To: at-l@saffron.hack.net
>Cc: tvanveen@accmail.umd.edu
>Subject: [at-l] Long Term Iodine Use
>

>Having decided to go light weight as much as possible on my thru hike,
I was
>considering forgoing a filter/purifier in favor of the ligher
PotableAqua
>tablets.  I wanted to know if there was a problem with long term daily
use,
>and I turned to the 'net.  After several frustrating hours and
conflicting
>ideas - I gave up.  I threw myself upon WildBills mercy, and he said he
would
>look into it.  I would say that what little information there is about
TOO
>MUCH iodine is scarce - most references were concerned with a
deficiency.
>This is a condensed version of some of what he found, and it appears
that 1 in
>10 people with prolonged use of iodine are affected (bearing in mind
that an
>enlarged thyroid is caused by both too much AND not enough iodine,
strangely
>enough . . .)

>There are reports of person's developing Iodine Goiters after consuming
excess
>Iodine.  Most people who have developed Iodine Goiters (english -
Enlarged

http://www.hack.net/lists *