[at-l] hiking in hunting season

TO: at-l-digest@saffron.hack.net

Gammara asked:

> How dangerous is it to be on the trail during hunting season. Has a
hiker
ever
> been shot by accident by a hunter who mistook him for a deer or
whatever?
Jim

My "hiker hunter" story:
I was on the North side of the Grayson Highlands area in October a few
years ago.  Crossing Iron Mt. (going South) the trail passed directly
beneath a big tree.  In that big tree was a big hunter with a big gun who
looked down at us with very mad eyes for disturbing the wildlife.  (I
guess we really should have respected his right to the trail and
bushwhacked for a few miles . . . not).  That night we stayed near the
trailhead at Rt. 16 (Fox Creek) and found many, many cars parked nearby.
 The next morning we passed several hunters on the trail who were
carrying packs, rifles, and (get this) Igloo coolers duct-taped to the
top of their packs.  Upon further discussion, we found that the coolers
contained several beers and 5ths on ice.  Once again, the combination of
alcohol, guns, and the adrenaline rush of thinking there's a deer in the
sights is not favorable.

Needless we hiked pretty fast that day.

 -Patrick "macman"