[at-l] Section and Thru-hiker differences.

Lately I've been reading the PCT Hiker's Handbook (RJ) and it has started me
thinking about just about everything in my backpack.  Being a "Section
Hiker" of the AT and FT, I'm curious to ask the experienced "thru-hikers" of
this list many questions.  What are the things that you changed or had to
adjust to during your thru-hike?  What are some of the differences you have
seen between a thru-hiker's gear and a section hiker's?

For example: obviously you need scissors or something to cut your nails,
thru-hikers often use 2-Liter and other plastic bottles instead of the
Nalgeen bottles, some thru-hikers don't bother to filter water.  I'm sure
there's more.

Any responses would be much appreciated!
Thanks and Happy Trails,
Jeff Walters

Florida Backpacker's Trailplace
http://www.iag.net/~fbt/