[at-l] RE: Hiking in Hunting Season

Jim,

I've section hiked the southern 1300 miles or so of the AT, much of it
during various hunting seasons.  I've encountered turkey and deer
hunters (bow & arrow, black powder, shotguns and rifles) in almost every
state, squirrel and bear hunters in NC, and bird and rabbit hunters
(they were vewwy qwiet) in VA.  I've never had a problem, and I've never
heard of a hiker being shot by a hunter.  I've enjoyed discussions with
many hunters I've met on or near the trail.  To be safe, you can wear
something blaze orange on your person and/or your pack, but I wouldn't
let a hunting season keep me out of the woods.

Take Care,

Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA