[at-l] questions about boots

Since someone asked about boots, I want to put a plug in for
Danner Mountain Lights.  It's a medium-heavyweight boot, breaks
in easily, and is very comfortable.  They are made in Oregon
or Washington, so Danner isn't a household name on the A.T.  The boot
was a selected pick by Backpacker Magazine the year before my thru-hike.
I didn't meet anyone else in '96 who thru-hiked with a single
pair of boots. Many people went through three or more pairs.
My boots lasted until New York before I had a blow-out in one
boot.  I had both re-soled and double stitched for about 40 bucks.
They then lasted until Maine.  Pretty beat up, but I was ready to
give them a big hug at the end.  :-)  I recently replaced them for
about $150 and expect the replacement pair to last a lifetime,
provided I don't convince my wife to someday let me do another
thru-hike.

For people who want a lightweight boot, Danner Mountain Lights
won't do.  But I had a history of ankle problems , so I wanted something
heavier with more support.  I had no problems with my ankles.
I don't have any connection to the company; I'm not even positive
I spelled their name correctly, but it's pretty close if it's
not right.  :-)

As far as where to go to buy boots, I went to a large shoe store store
that  I knew lots of backpackers and hikers frequented. Word of mouth
is a great tool. The salesclerks didn't pressure me and offered to let
me try the boots out at home (indoors) for a short period to see if they
felt comfortable. The owner took an interest in making sure I had
the right boot for what I wanted out of the boot.  In short, the
transaction felt right, and it turned out well.

Quid Pro Quo