[at-l] newbie self-intro and questions

Happy Fourth everyone!

This is the first time I've posted to this list--I've enjoyed what I've
been reading so far.  I'm a student at UT-Austin and I am seriously
considering a through-hike in the Spring/Summer of 2000--sort of a
graduation gift to myself, you know?  I'm reasonably fit, I enjoy
long-distance running, but, honestly, I am not a very experienced
hiker.  In any event, I am passionate about learning all I can.  So my
questions run along these lines:

--What sorts of things should I be doing now to be prepared in the
spring of 2000?

--If you had to 'start' all over again, what would you do?

Any and all other advice is greatly appreciated (personal replies are
cool).

Thanks a lot, folks, and I look forward to seeing some of you out there,

Andy "I don't have a trail-name yet" Pacetti