Re: [at-l] New Backpack

Peter- i loved your story- i am a super compulsive md- i research everything
ad infinitum- no one will talk to me when i research something. when i plan a
trip i know exactly when, where, why, what, if, if not, if maybe, if maybe
not, etc etc- people say i'm nuts- i'm not, i'm just careful so i don't get
screwed( well maybe i'm a little nuts) anyways i needed a new tent and new bag

my old tent weighed 8 lbs, would probably leak in a bad storm and besides i
didnt like the color- ok the real reason, plus backpacker- u do get it don't
you? magazine arrived with its annual review- 400 pages of dry numbers
reviewing every piece of hiking equipment/clothes/boots etc in the world- for
me its like going to heaven- maybe better- anyways i read it every minute
between patients- alright i read it instead of seeing patients- they do get in
the way sometimes- and i post my questions here. and some really nice
thoughtful folks send me replies which really shows they care,& they know what
the're talking about. so i buy a meteor light cd tent- terrific for 2 man
tenting- keeps us totally dry on bly gap thru the worst lightning storm i'd
ever been in, me i went to sleep thru it- tried to cook under the fly-
everyone was right- good way to try to burn your tent down- i waited until it
let up- better idea- but it kept my boots and pack dry.

now for the point of this ramble. i see a pack here someone is talking about
made by "wild things" in New Hampshire- i think- weighs about 2.5 lbs , 4-5000
cc, and i think ok thats what jardine would use. but of course its not listed
in the review and i have no clue where in new hampshire its located but 1
800-or 1-555 has the number and yes they do exist. so i call. and a surly
women answers and basically tells me , they have no pictures, no brochure, no
info- and if i carry more than 30 lbs i'm a moron and i should call another
company for help- what service! so i give them a credit card number and for $
275 they send me the pack, which when i get it looks kind of flimsy, dowsn't
fit well even though i gave her the measurements, and my wife is ready to kill
me and some. anyways i pack it up remembering the 30 lb rule and off we go on
the at for a week- i beat the crap out of it on the trail just checking to see
if it will fall apart( i know- if it had what i have done?- a fair question)
and i love it- it fits great, it is the best pack i have ever carried. it has
some feature that i may modify in years to come- but my son who is using    my
previous favorite pack is begging to use my new pack- absolutely not- its
mine- i love it-its called the at pack so you never know-every day you learn
something new about equipment jim