RE: [at-l] Pack Preferences

Using the carbon fiber stays for the Mountainlight 5200 pack take off about
8 oz of weight from the standard aluminum stays (slightly more weight off
than the Mountainsmith catalog says). Hopefully these carbon fiber stays
will hold up well enough if I'm careful. Holding the aluminum stays in one
hand and the carbon fiber stays in the other hand, it's hard to believe
there is 8 oz difference (both are so light) but there is.

There is about 2 oz worth of extra length of straps all over the pack
including one of the ice axe loops (or both for that matter) that can be cut
off and still have plenty of strap length left.

So...summarizing. If you bought a Mountainlight 5200 with standard aluminum
stays ($290 if you can find one) at an actual weight of 57 oz, then bought
the carbon fiber stays for a ML 5200 ($60 from Mountainsmith + shipping) at
a savings of 8 oz and then trimmed off 2 oz of extra straps you'd be at 47
oz total actual weight for a Mountainlight 5200 pack (1997 model). The
Mountainlight 4000 is a little heavier than that with standard aluminum
stays at a cost of about $195 with alum stays (if you can find a 4000
anyplace). There are carbon fiber stays available for the Mountainlight 4000
also.

Datto
griffiths_tom@essexgroup.com