Re: [at-l] Gear Weenies UNITE!

In a message dated 98-06-26 10:46:42 EDT, thatgirl@astrogirl.com writes:

> Subj:	 [at-l] Gear Weenies UNITE!
>  Date:	98-06-26 10:46:42 EDT
>  From:	thatgirl@astrogirl.com (Nicole Markee)
>  Sender:	owner-at-l@saffron.hack.net
>  To:	at-l@saffron.hack.net
>
>  My boyfriend, ever the tinkerer, is tired of listening to me going on and
>  on about stoves.  (Yes, I do this at home too.)  He's ready to build me
>  one, I think.
>
>  Has anyone here made a carbide stove?  He quite familiar with things that
>  burn, having been naughty and curious 12 year old at some point in the
past.

>  He's not sure if carbide will be bad for hiking in some way (burns too hot,
>  bad in cold temps, whatever), so I said I'd ask here.
>
>  -Nicole
>
>  ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
>  thatgirl@astrogirl.com  http://www.astrogirl.com
>  nrm@bellandwhistle.com  http://www.bellandwhistle.com

IMO, This is not a good ideal. I don't think there has been a carbide
(acetylene) stove manufactured. I have only used and/or heard of the Carbide
lights used in cave's and mine's. They are not used all the much anymore.

Carbide Lights - these run by burning acetylene gas, which is produced
by dripping water onto calcium carbide. A bright yellow - white jet of
flame gives the light. They also smell and are very prone to failure and will
to go out when you get them wet.

1.You would need an acetylene generator, this is were you would put your
carbide and water to make generate the acetylene.

2.Tubing to the burner.

3. Burner with the proper jet.

I think this will weigh more then any backpacking stove you could buy.

Just get a tuna can, put some hole in the side. And use heat tabs.

Wildbill