[at-l] maps

Way to go Jim, now you have me feeling guilty for carrying my 1 oz compass....
: - )
My favorite map story.... After climbing Owl's Head up in the Whites (yes, I
am, or was, one of those lunatic peak baggers) I met a family dayhiking. They
questioned me about the "main" trail, and I assumed they ment the trail up
Owl's Head, when I told them it was well marked with a large pile of rocks
(doubting that they knew what a cairn was) I was met with total confusion. In
sorting out the confusion it turned out that they were hiking with a map (from
the Lincoln Woods ranger center?) that resembled one that you would find for a
placemat in a diner, and it included no scale. They were doing a circular
"dayhike" from Lincoln Woods up the Wilderness trail to the north end of  the
Lincoln Brook trail, which they were going to follow back. (If I've swapped
trail names or anything else, I'm doing this from memory and without my map
handy (Jim!), so my apologies). Now, I never went and measured this loop, but
from a quick look at my map at the time I was guessing that it was between 25
and 30 miles, while the family was taking a "walk in the woods". Fortunately
they took the south end of the Lincoln Brook trail, and then ran into me before
they got to much farther....
I won't mention the mom's somewhat amusing full face-plant in Lincoln Brook
while rock hopping back across....

Peace, Skeeter