Re: [at-l] Map and compass - and GPS

Good post Jim.  The frightening thing is the people who have no clue how
to read a map in the first place.  A couple of years ago, I ran into a
couple headed north on the AT in High Point State Park (NJ) as I was headed
south.  They looked like they had outfitted themselves from the Sharper
Image Catalogue.  Although in apparent good shape, they were collapsing
under the weight of stuff that I would find too heavy for a drive-in
campground.  I chatted with them about where they had been.  They spent
the night at the Rutherford shelter (3 miles from the parking lot).  He
then complained that the map was all out of kilter because lake Rutherford
was not in the right place from an overlook on the trail and therefore must
have been another lake that was not on the map.  When I got to the spot, I
pulled out my map (the same one) and oriented it (I used my watch & the sun
because I was too lazy to pull out my compass).  The lake was right where it
should have been but the trail had taken a turn of about 45 deg that was too
small to show on the map.  I oriented the map to the trail and, low and behold
the lake was in the wrong place!  I hope that he learns to use map and compass
before he tries to green blaze anywhere or the local S&R team will get a
workout.

Happy trails,

Rich