Re: [at-l] Map and compass - and GPS

<<  I'm no stranger to map and compass work - or to the necessity for a
compass in some situations, but I'll tell you plainly that for an AT
thruhiker, a compass is nothing but extra weight. >>

Good post, Jim.  And I agree 100% with your views here.  I hike in some areas
where a map and compass are necessary, like hiking off trail in wilderness
areas, but have never carried one on the AT.  On the AT I only carry a map.
And most of the time, even with the map, all I look at are the elevation
profiles.  For some strange reason, I seem to want to know what kinds of
torture the trail has in store for me each day :-).  From what I have seen,
most thruhikers tend to use the profiles more than the rest of the map as
well.  I have turned the wrong way coming out of a shelter in the past, and
most likely will again in the future, but have always caught my mistake very
quickly by paying attention to what's around me.  A compass certainly didn't
play any part in re-orienting myself.  The best defense against becoming
disoriented ( I don't believe it's possible to get LOST on the AT) is to be
able to read the map, pay attention to your surroundings, and don't hesitate
to stop and look at said map if you aren't sure.

Good Hiking,
Jim
"Earth gives life and seeks the man who walks gently upon it."