RE: [at-l] Hammocks

Pretty sure that the 4 lb. weight mentioned on the site is for the whole
system, not one piece.  I see the breakdown as follows:

hammock          2.0 lbs    $ 85.00
bug net/rain fly 1.4 lbs    $125.00
harness           .5 lbs    $  0.00  (included with hammock)
total            3.9 lbs    $210.00

Maybe the extra .1 is the stuff sack.  And the order form says the prices
are in US dollars.

The website (http://www.travelsource.com/travelstore/lbd/lbd.html) makes the
system look like it's well designed and well made, but I still think that a
tarp is the better way to go because it gives you a more versatile sheltered
space.

Just for comparison, the core of the system that I've cobbled together
includes:

hammock        .75 lbs    $ 80.00   (http://www.hangouts.com/Camping.html)
9x9 tarp	  1.75 lbs    $ 34.00
(http://www.campmor.com/tents/tarps.html)
total         2.50 lbs    $114.00

Details of the harness and bug net components are not final, so not included
here.

Since Vermont Voyager doesn't seem to have a web site ( can you believe it?!
), guess I'll have to give them a ring and see if they've got a catalog.
(Thanks to "The old ridgeRunner" for the pointer.)

Peter