[at-l] August Baxter State Park Info

Hi everyone! This was posted to ATML, and I thought I'd send it to At-l,
too...
   Baxter in late August isn't as crowded you may think! You can still get
mid-week camping sites just about anywhere you'd like. Chimney Pond lean-tos
might be booked up, but the bunkhouse and the rest of the Park should be
available. Call the Park HQ in Millinocket (207.723.5140) to check on
openings, and get yer check in the mail. It's very reasonable, $12 for a tent
site or lean-to for two.
   The Chimney Pond area is the best deal in the park. 3 easy miles in from
the busy Roaring Brook campground, you backpack into an alpine pond setting in
the huge eastern bowl. From there you can pick trails up Katahdin that range
from "easy" ( the Saddle Trail ) to "HolyChit!!" ( the Cathedral, Dudly and
the Knife Edge ).
   AT fans should consider staying at Katahdin Stream Campground on the
westside, and hiking the challenging Hunt/AT to Baxter Peak. You'll meet
Northbounders that time of year. Just try to not think of all those who have
gone before you up this trail, I dare ya! There's bouldering, monkey bars, and
rock scrambles, it's not just a walk in the Park! Take advantage of the early
sunrises and get a real early start, you'll have the Mountain trails to
yourself if you start before 6 AM. If you're there for a few days try to pick
a clear day to do Baxter Peak.
   In late August bugs are no big deal. It's a pack-out-your-trash bring-or-
filter-your-water Park, the roads are rough and unpaved. The Bull Moose are
frisky and photogenic, the cows indiferent, ( just don't stand between two )
and there's no real bear problem in the southern end of Baxter.
   The best  advice I have to offer is this; talk to the Rangers. They know
where the critters are, what the trail conditions are, what the next day's
waether will be like, and are full of stories about this years crop of ATers
and other people "from away".
Have a wonderful time!!
take care
TJ