RE: [at-l] Hammocks

At 08:09 AM 6/23/98 -0400, Peter wrote:
>>   I have taken heed of the comments that hammocks can kill trees.
>>
>Like KC, I've been working on designing a hammock and tarp sleeping system
>as an alternative to a tent and ( in warm weather ) sleeping pad.  ..snip..
>Comments, questions, feedback of any sort is welcome.

I have an Army style jungle hammock which I have used on a few overnights.
Pluses are the netting and it is more comfortable than rocks, roots or hard
shelter floors. I found the top to be only barely adiquate in a heavy rain
and you must remember to add drip lines to the support ropes or the water
will run down into the hammock.

The problem I haven't solved is what to do with my pack and my boots. I'm
considering a large fly above the hammock tied by opposite corners to
create a larger dry area. If that works I might modify the hammock by
replacing the solid part of the top with more netting for better air
circulation and reduced weight.

I've seen lots of references to camping on balds on the AT. Would a hammock
be practical for a thru-hike or would I have difficulty finding places to
hang it on some sections?

Saunterer