Re: [at-l] Pack weight

In a message dated 98-06-23 20:04:38 EDT, jrowen@ibm.net writes:

<< Enough - keep in mind that these are only suggestions that relate
 to MY way of doing things - and they might not work for you.  If
 they do work for you, great -- if not, then look for something that
 does. >>

Jim,

These are great comments.  I also found that some things can be measured and
put in smaller packages.....ie. pain relievers...out for a week take a week's
worth.....I do the same with butter, allergy medication, sportscreme,
seasonings, first aid supplies, dehydrated milk, pasta, and believe it or
not.....vodka (so I like to have a drink after a days hike).  This saves an
enormous amount of weight. I bought a bunch of teeny containers at an
outfitter and of course use ziplocks.   If I were thru hiking, the larger
containers that these come in would be mailed in a mail ahead box where I
would refill and mail ahead.  This way I have some extra comforts without all
the weight and save some money by purchasing items in larger quantities.

I just recently purchased a 20 dollar tent from K-mart.  The weight is not
marked on the box, but compared it to my clip and it weighs less.  Has 2 tent
poles, 3 stakes, no rain fly, and the poles are tied onto inside of tent
instead of clipped on. It is rated for a person and a half.

I also like to take trail guides and copy the pages that I need and cut off
the edges.

I also cut my sleeping bag tarp.  I measured around my sleeping bag, and cut
off all the unnecessary fabric where my feet were in the mummy bag.

I have a very small camp towel that works great too.

This all sounds kinda fanatic, but I am really small and want to hike in
comfort.

        choovers