[at-l] Hammock Thoughts

A small thought about using a hammock (I have used this many times in
WET places) -

Needed: 1 nylon "string" hammock; 2 nylon webs (1" or greater)(the
longer the better - long ones will wrap around a small tree several
times while short ones sometimes don't reach); length of climbers rope;
parachute cord; 2 caribiers; 10 X 10 tarp; and a hiking stick.

Try this:  Find one big tree with spreading limbs (oaks are nice); tie
parachute cord to your pack; climb tree to suitable limb and pull up
pack; secure pack; take one nylon loop around trunk or limb (place the
running end through the stationary end); insert caribiner in the running
end and the head of the hammock; place the other loop out on the limb
your standing on or on another limb or trunk; place caribiner in the
running end of this second loop; run the short climbing rope between
this caribiner and the end (foot) of the hammock - pull tight as desired
(i.e. block & tackle affect); tie the parachute cord from the trunk to
the limb about an inch above the hammock; place & secure tarp over
parachute cord (5' on each side); get under tarp and climb in the
hammock (it will sag down from the suspended tarp); place your hiking
stick at right angles to the hammock under the hammock with one end of
the stick in the mid-point of each side of the trap (i.e. holds/spreads
the tarp away from the hammock); take a knap.

??: This sounds much more complicated than it really iis - for the faint
of heart, find two trees closer to the ground.  If you tie the corners
of the tarp you can weather quite a storm.  I've used this in the
Everglades and other such places when the ground is  a lake but in the
mountains I rarely carry all this stuff as weighs far too much.