[at-l] Back To Grayson Highlands

Well, my 10-year old daughter says she's not going backpacking unless
we go back to Grayson Highlands. Last year I took her my 69-year old
mother and sister. After a Friday night thunderstorm that kept us up
all night we hiked from the Wise Shelter area via Scales trail to
Crest Trail to AT south to Thomas Knob shelter. After looking at it it
was a long hike for them.  We missed the Little Wilson Creek Trail to
the Scales.  My questions are:

1) Are the Rhodos in bloom in Grayson, over with, etc.

2) Has anyone taken Little Wilson Creek Trail going North from AT or
either from the campground area?

3) Has anyone taken the VA Highlands Horse Trail from the park
boundary (to left)headed to the Thomas Knob Shelter. I'm trying to
avoid climbing the AT south, Wilburn Ridge trails for my 70 year-old
mom. I assume the VA highlands horse trail would not be as steep,
though littered with horse stuff.

4) If I don't stay in the shelter (save for thru-hikers, unless
there's a mean storm)are there active bears in the park area.

5) Last year we parked in the new lot and went up the big hill (Rhodo
Trail). Is there a new trail that skirts the hill and heads North to
Little Creek Wilderness Area.

6) What's the AT like from the Scales South to the AT/Scales/Little
Creek Trails junction?

There's a lot here so I won't mind if you e-mail me privately.
Thanks. HERB

Thanks
HERB